Close this search box.

Fire Services

About Beaver Emergency Services

The Beaver Emergency Services Commission is a regional partnership between the towns of Tofield and Viking, and the villages of Holden, Ryley and Beaver County, Alberta for the administration and delivery of fire and emergency management services. Commission headquarters are in Viking, Alberta in the lower level of the Town Office.

The Beaver Emergency Services Commission manages the administration and operations of volunteer fire departments in each of the towns of Tofield and Viking, the villages of Ryley and Holden, and the hamlets of Bruce and Kinsella. Fire Department operations in each of the towns and villages are managed by a District Fire Chief and many dedicated volunteer firefighters.

For more information visit, call 780-336-3041 or email For emergencies, call 911.

Fire Permits

Pursuant to Fire Permit Bylaw 04-2013, fire permits are required year-round from January 1 until December 31. Permits are available from the BESC office, online or from the following fire guardians:

  • Tofield Town Office Ph: 780-662-3269
  • Village Of Ryley Ph: 780-663-3653
  • Beaver County Office (Ryley) Ph: 780-663-3730
  • Village of Holden Ph: 780-688-3928
  • Blair Ewasiuk (Holden) Ph: 780-603-0179
  • Rob Roulston (Bruce) Ph: 780-254-0224
  • 50th Street Auto (Viking) Ph: 780-336-2526
  • BESC Headquarters (Viking) Ph: 780-336-3041
  • Kelly Overbo (Kinsella) Ph: 780-336-5518
  • Regional Fire Chief Ph: 780-336-3041

Fire Permits are issued for a 14-day period and are free of charge.

Apply for a fire permit online here.

A fire permit is not required for:

  • A barbecue/fire pit provided that:
    • A minimum of 3 metres clearance from buildings, property lines and combustible material is maintained;
    • It is constructed of bricks or concrete blocks, heavy gauge metal or other suitable non-combustible components;
    • It has a spark arrestor mesh screen of 13 mm (.50 inches) expanded metal (or equivalent) to always contain sparks over the fire;
    • The fire is always supervised by a responsible adult until it has been extinguished;
    • Only wood, charcoal briquettes, propane or natural gas fuels are used;
    • Flame height does not exceed 90 cm (3.28 feet above the BBQ/fire pit.
  • A fire within a non-combustible container provided by the County within a designated public park where burning for cooking and warming is permitted.
  • A portable appliance (which means any appliance sold or constructed for the purpose of cooking food in the outdoors).
  • A smudge fire in a non-combustible container covered with a heavy gauge metal screen having a mesh size not larger than 13 mm (.50 inches).
  • An incinerator fire in a non-combustible container covered with a heavy gauge metal screen having a mesh size not larger than 13 mm (.50 inches).

The bylaw does not apply to any industrial or commercial type incinerators that are required to be licensed under the Alberta Environment Protection and Enhancement Act.

No burning is allowed without a permit in areas designated as Municipal or Environmental Reserve or in designated restricted burn areas.

Burning Regulations & Tips

A fire permit is a legal document, which conditionally authorizes a person to burn wood debris at a time specified on the permit. By obtaining a fire permit you have indicated your wish to burn. The responsibility for conducting a safe burn is yours.

  • The fire must be set at the time and place indicated on the permit.
  • The number of fires set at one time and minimum equipment needed may be specified on the permit.

Burning shall be done in compliance with the Forest and Prairie Protection Act (Supra) under and the following conditions:

  • Permittee is responsible for the safe control of the burning herein authorized;
  • Winds less than 10 km per hour;
  • A minimum of one (1) adult must attend all times;
  • Sufficient tools, equipment and quantities of water must be readily available for the size of burn being conducted;
  • If burning is within ½ kilometre of a primary or secondary highway the Permittee is responsible to post appropriate “Smoke” signs along the primary or secondary highway.
  • Permittee must remove smoke signs when burn is completed, or permit expires and return signs to BESC.
  • Consideration must be given to neighbours as to avoid physical discomfort as a result of burning.
  • This Permit does not authorize burning of prohibited debris as defined by the Alberta Environmental Protection Enhancement Act.

Get in touch!

Have a question not answered here? Contact us today.

Show n' Shine -August 5, 2024
This is default text for notification bar