Planning & Development

Development and Planning Contact

Laraine Stuart
Phone: 780-886-2729

What permits are needed for my project?

Development Permit

Before you begin your project, you must obtain a development permit from the Town Of Tofield. Please note, a development permit does not excuse the applicant from satisfying all other applicable municipal, provincial and/or federal requirements.

Safety Codes Permit

Once a development permit is issued, you may also require Safety Codes Permits, including the following: Building Permit, Electrical Permit, Gas permit, or Plumbing permit. You must obtain the appropriate permits prior to the start of construction, as well as the New Builder Licensing and Home Warranty.

Application forms for the Safety Codes Permits can be downloaded from the links below or through the Inspections Group at (780) 454-5048, toll-free at 1-866-554-5048 or by visiting


Beginning December 1, 2017, new requirements are in effect for residential builders in Alberta. All residential builders are required to have a builder licence in order to construct new homes.

Builder licensing applies to anyone constructing new homes, including condominiums and large multi-family homes, as well as renovations when a residential construction project requires new home warranty coverage.

For more information visit

Other Important Links

A collection of other important links can be found below: