Chapter Twelve: Early Families of Tofield “G-I”
Hull and Barnes p.262
Isaac Ingram p.263
Ingram and Sears p.265
Note Re: BIOGRAPHIES OF PIONEER FAMILIES
The committee responsible for the compilation of this book felt that for practical reasons the accounts of pioneer families should be limited to those families who were in this area by 1910. After this date, a large influx of immigrants entered the Tofield district; the pioneer era was over.
Members of the pioneer families were asked to submit their family histories. If direct contact was impossible friends of the family were consulted.
Since the excellent history of the Bardo district, “Pioneers of Bardo, Alberta” by Ragna Steen and Magda Hendriksen contains biographies of the families in that district, no attempt has been made to duplicate this material. We are well aware, however, of the invaluable contribution made to Tofield area by the Bardo pioneers.
Those submitting biographies were encouraged to record family legends and experiences as well as the relevant statistics and dates. While this anecdotal approach has enlarged the book, thereby increasing its cost, we feel that the spirit of the pioneer era has been accurately presented for future generations.
The material for this article has been secured through the kindness of the Glenbow Foundation, Calgary, Alberta, who have willingly made their book — “Claude Gallinger” available for use.
A man who was to achieve international recognition as a cattle breeder, bringing fame to Tofield as the location of his Killearn Farm, migrated to Western Canada as a youth. At eighteen years of age, he arrived in Strathcona via the C.P.R. He had only eighteen dollars in his pocket but he had a job waiting for him. Robert Lee from Gallinger’s home town in Ontario, MacDonald’s Corner, had entered into partnership with a man named Ross in Edmonton and, business having prospered, Lee needed help. He wrote to Claude, offering “twenty dollars and found” to keep books and do other odd jobs in the office. So, on December 8,1899, young Claude Gallinger, after walking over ice on the North Saskatchewan yet too thin to bear horses, arrived in Edmonton.
Gallinger had come from a working class Presbyterian family. He worked in his father’s blacksmith shop learning how much labor went into each earned dollar. This practical education and thorough knowledge of money values was to stand him in good stead in his Alberta years.
Soon Claude Gallinger was working for Ross Bros. Hardware Company, being paid thirty-five dollars a month; out of this munificent sum came fifteen dollars a month for room and board.
Ross Bros. carried wholesale groceries, supplying homesteaders with food and equipment. Roads to the surrounding tracts of land were miry trails. The North Saskatchewan provided the most comfortable as well as the cheapest highway. Barges, scows, and rafts were accepted modes of travel. Scows freighted loads of flour and lumber down the river. In August, 1903, one of the lumber rafts was boarded by Claude Gallinger en route to the Fort Pitt – Lloydminster area where he was to collect some overdue bills for his employers. Arriving at Fort Pitt on Sunday after having been on the raft since Wednesday, Claude rode the remaining twenty five miles to the tent-town of Lloydminster and, later a further hundred miles to Battleford. He learned that travel fatigue was a constant companion.
In 1904, Robert Lee, now dealing in real estate, offered Gallinger a share in his land speculation. The immediate objective was to purchase the John Norris farm which lay adjacent to Edmonton. There were to be four partners involved in the transaction: Robert Lee, Claude Gallinger, W.I. Crafts, and J.R. Black. Gallinger’s assessed share in the enterprise was to be a down payment of $11,250.00. To raise this amount presented quite a problem, but, by withdrawing his meagre savings from the Merchants’ Bank and obtained a loan from the bank for one thousand dollars, the necessary down payment was secured. The John Norris farm was bought, sub-divided and sold; it now forms the residential district of Inglewood in Edmonton.
This successful venture led to a full-time partnership; the firm was known as “Crafts, Lee and Gallinger Realtors.” The firm was concerned with rural holdings and since Sifton’s “men in sheepskin coats” were arriving in large numbers, the firm prospered through sales to these immigrants. In the Tofield area the firm sold a great deal of land to Mennonite farmers who had left Nebraska because of the scarcity of land in that area.
Early settlers near Tofield had discovered coal and had mined some for their own use. By 1906, speculative interests noted that, according to surveys, Tofield was on the eastern rim of the coal beds in the Edmonton area. A ready-made coal market lay in the vast, treeless plains to the east.
In December, 1906, the Tofield Coal Company was formed with 2500 shares worth $1000 each for sale. Shaft mining was begun in 1907 with the coal being hauled in wagons to the farmers’ homes.
With the coming of the G.T.P. in 1909, a rail outlet for the marketable coal was provided; coal could now be shipped to distant markets. When strip mining proved feasible, a railway spur was built right into the mine so the miners could load the coal directly into box cars. Sales expanded as markets were secured in central Saskatchewan, and even southern Manitoba, though, of course, Alberta points took the bulk of the sales. In 1910, Black sold his share of the Tofield Coal Company. Charles Taylor came to manage the mine.
Horses, dump wagons, and an elevating belt grader were used to clear off the overlay in the strip mine. Later, a Ledgerwood dragline was introduced and in 1913 C.H. Taylor, mine manager, returned from a trip to Germany with a $25,000.00 German stripping machine, which was used until 1917. This machine was succeeded by a steam shovel, powered by a donkey engine; finally the job was contracted to owners of Letourneau scoops. The seam of coal was about six feet thick and varied from twelve to eighteen feet below the surface.
After the mining operation was completed the overlay was filled in and the recovered land seeded to grass to prevent erosion and waste. In twenty years, even the bush has returned.
Since Crafts and Lee were primarily interested in Edmonton real estate, Gallinger accepted responsibility for the development of the Tofield coal mine. By 1914, this mine was in a position to compete with Edmonton mines for Edmonton markets. On the opening of the MacDonald Hotel in Edmonton in 1914, the Tofield Coal Co. received the contract to supply coal for heating the new edifice. Costing $2.00 a ton at the mine the coal was delivered at the MacDonald for $3.50 per ton.
However, with the coming of natural gas, the market for coal declined and, in 1956 the mine ceased operations.
As well as being a successful business man, Claude Gallinger was an outstanding cattle breeder; his Killearn shorthorns became famous throughout North America. Beginning with a herd of commercial cattle pastured on reclaimed mine land, Gallinger became interested in raising purebreds which, no more expensive to raise than grade cattle, produced more and better beef.
He began with Herefords purchased from Joe Roper at Lacombe. The herd sire was to be a Prince Domino bull from the Caerlon Ranch at Nanton. As his herd increased, Gallinger bought Blanchard Domino 4th from the McIntyre Ranch of Magrath in 1934.
In 1928 or 29, Gallinger bought his first purebred shorthorn from Joe Brown and Barney Creech of Lloydminster. In 1932, he bought a carload of top quality shorthorns, registered from F.M. Rothrack, Spokane, Washington, L.J. Broughton of Dayton, Moscow, Idaho. One cow cost $1,125.00 – a fantastic price in the depression era. The herd sire was Danny Boy purchased in Scotland for thirty three guineas.
In 1935, Gallinger decided to concentrate on Shorthorns and in consequence, had his Hereford dispersal sale. In the same year, George Cummings accepted the position of Gallinger’s herdsman; the progress at Killearn farm in the following years was in no small part due to Cummings’ exceptional ability as manager. By 1937, Gallinger was making a name for himself as a Shorthorn breeder. He adopted the herd name of “Killearn” the name of the Scotch village where his second wife, Jean, had been born.
Gallinger’s first wife was the daughter of his partner, W.I. Crafts. They were married in 1908 and had two children, Wilbur (July 17,1909) and Margaret (May 26, 1911). Mrs. Gallinger died in 1924. In 1927 Jean Galbraith of Killearn Scotland, became Mrs.Claude Gallinger. She died in May, 1958.
The first bull sold under the new herd name was Duke of Killearn 9227686. In 1937, as a yearling, he brought $1500.00 – a record price to that date. By the time Duke of Killearn died, ten years later, he was noted as a famous herd sire.
Gallinger continued to build up his Killearn herd. By rigid selection, his herd of females was kept at the very highest standard of quality. No female was ever sold; inferior ones were culled and sent for slaughter.
With herd expansion and increasing fame, Gallinger felt the need to increase his farming operations. Across the Saskatchewan River from Edmonton at Clover Bar lay the D.W. Warner estate which was up for sale by Mary Warner whose husband had died some years before. On purchase by Gallinger, this estate became Gold Bar Farm, and on it, the Gallinger family lived. This farm became a show place and the backdrop of the Gallinger “Killearn Shorthorn Production Sale” which was instituted in 1945. It was held in the Sales Pavilion in Edmonton; this sale brought buyers from all over North America.
However., Edmonton’s expansion soon reached Gold Bar Farm and Gallinger sold it for $600,000.00 to Maclab Construction Company in 1955. The estate was of course sub-divided and sold; it is now the Gold Bar subdivision of Edmonton.
Wilbur Gallinger married Dorothy McGarvey of Edmonton on August 9, 1938. They had three children: Kathryn, who died while still a little girl, Claude and Michael. Both boys have attended the Vermilion School of Agriculture, and still live on the “mine farm”. Claude married Betsy-Ann Schultz, daughter of a pioneer family. Michael married Darlene Wells of Marsden, Saskatchewan; they have a small red-headed son, Sean Michael, who was born in Canada’s Centennial year.
Wilbur died on April 30, 1966; his widow still lives on the home farm. Miss Margaret Gallinger, long connected with the offices of the Gallinger enterprises, lives in Edmonton.
The Jeremy Gladue Family
When Tofield celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 1959 Mr. Jeremy Gladue, one of Tofield’s earliest citizens, was interviewed by the members of the Golden Jubilee Committee. In his fine modern home on Highway 14, opposite Fort Scott, Mr. Gladue welcomed the committee. Still tall, straight, active in body and keen of mind, Mr. Gladue recalled the era before there was a Tofield.
In 1890, Jeremy Gladue came as a boy to Beaverhill Lake country with his father, mother, sisters and brothers. The trip from St. Albert was made with teams and wagons. His uncle, “old” Jeremy Gladue welcomed them and shared his living quarters on the Logan ranch with them. Young Jeremy attended three school terms in Edmonton, to complete the education begun in St. Albert.
Like all young men of those days, he soon filed on a homestead, NW 12- 51-19- the land presently owned by D.W. Jacobs. Other homesteaders on this location were Dr. Tofield on the SW quarter; Billy Rowland on the SE quarter and Louis Pruden on the NE quarter.
Farming then was on a strictly horse-power basis. The walking plow and harrow were the chief, if not the only, tillage implements. Mr. Gladue remembered his dad sowing grain by broadcasting it by hand in the old-age way. Later the process was accelerated by strapping tubs of grain to the back of a wagon, and as the horses moved down the field, the men broadcast the grain. Jeremy said the first mechanical broadcast seeder was brought in by John Phillips; Logans owned the first binder and cut grain for everyone. Soon young Jeremy got a binder and did similar custom work. Clarke Bros. from the east shore of Beaver Hill Lake owned a threshing machine whose motive power was provided by 16 horses. Henry Woods owned the first steam- powered threshing machine. All the threshing was done from stacks and the grain sacked as it came from the machine. The fields were small, 25 acres being an average size.
Mr. Gladue recalled that in 1896 the Logan Anglican church was built. (This church is officially recorded as “The Church of St. James the Apostle – Newton Logan)”. The land for the church and the adjacent cemetery was donated by Robt. Logan. It was situated on the land Joe Laarhuis now occupies. Jeremy had good reason to remember this cemetery, as his mother, dad, and two sisters lie there as well as many early settlers, including Mr. and Mrs. Pruden, and Jeremy’s brother Alex, killed in World War I.
Jeremy recalled that Chief Ketchamoot after whom the creek and school district were named, spent his last years in a little shack on the land now occupied by Stan Schacher. The Chief is undoubtedly buried along the creek there.
The pioneers had many hardships but they had fun, too. They held picnics by the lake shore and on the land now occupied by the Tofield Schools. Everyone came from far and near to join in the community fun. When asked what they did for amusement Jeremy’s eyes twinkled as he said “We played ball. All we needed was the ball – we could cut a chunk of willow anywhere for a bat.”
Then he told of Tofield’s first triumph in the world of sports. When asked if there had been a baseball team, he said “We had a real baseball team after the Woods’ and Phillips’ boys came. We went over to Vegreville (Old Vegreville) when their first fair was held. First we won the baseball game. Then came the horse races. Lloyd Wood owned a little buckskin horse named Dennis and we won all the races with him. Then came the foot races. Jim Ackley was fast but (modestly) I was a bit faster. We won all the races. Then I said, ‘Now boys, the rest is up to you!’ They went ahead and won all the jumps, too.”
“As soon as the sports were over I drove to the store with Marion Hayes in our buggy. We bought a new broom and we drove around and around Vegreville (there wasn’t much of it) waving the broom and yelling “A clean sweep for Tofield.” At the dance which followed we Tofielders had to stick together for fear of reprisal.”
Mr. Gladue was married in 1914 to Miss Donald. They had one son, Albert, and three daughters, Corinne (Mrs. Art Rowland), Kathleen (Mrs. Lloyd Grummett) and Bertha (Mrs. A. Lawrence) of Warren, Oregon.
Mr. Gladue died on November 29, 1960.
The Gray Family
Mr. and Mrs. J.L. Gray came to Alberta from Missouri, U.S.A. in 1902 and settled on N.W. 28-50-18 in the area east of Tofield.
Mr. Gray, a gardener, had the proverbial “green thumb” and all his plants flourished. The spruce trees that he planted during his first years on his farm are now a landmark.
Mrs. Gray operated a nursing home for several years. There being no hospital in the district, this nursing home provided a necessary service.
Mrs. Gray was active in the Ladies’ Curling Club and in the U.F.W.A. Mr. Gray was a member of the Amisk Creek and, later, of the Ingram School Board. He was also a member of the Tofield Agricultural Society.
The Grays had four children: John, Lucille, Lowell, and Clarence. After service in World War I John farmed in the Tofield area before moving to Summerland, B.C.
Before her marriage to Dr. D.M. Morrison, Lucille operated a beauty parlor in Tofield. Later the Morrisons moved to Edmonton where they raised their three sons.
Lowell, an electrician, worked most of his life in the Palliser Hotel, in Calgary. Clarence died while still a young man.
In July 1924, John and Lowell made a canoe trip into northern Saskatchewan. Having purchased an eighteen-foot trappers’ freighting canoe and planned their expedition carefully, they left Tofield on July 10. The canoe loaded with traps, “grub stake,” rifles and other necessary equipment was hauled 175 miles to Beaver crossing arriving there on July 15.
The next day the canoe, loaded with 1800 pounds of freight, was launched. Going down the Beaver River which was low at that season, the Gray brothers struck several sandbars. Shooting numerous rapids was a new and exciting experience. Game was plentiful on the banks of the river.
August third saw them at the junction of Beaver River and Isle a la Crosse. Soon they were navigating Churchill River, which ran out of the east end of the hundred mile long lake. On September first, after several portages, they reached their destination on Sandy Lake.
Here they built a log cabin and prepared for the coming winter. Fish were plentiful; four deer and two moose provided an ample supply of meat.
By the end of October, winter had set in, bringing a foot of snow. A three days’ journey on snowshoes was necessary to get within reach of a caribou herd. Foxes and other small fur-bearing animals were trapped by the two men. If available, a good sleigh dog was worth $50.00.
Toward the end of January, the Gray brothers’ supplies ran low so, on receiving a good offer for their outfit, they accepted it and set out, on foot, on the 300 mile return trip which took fourteen days.
Their comment that the trip was “priceless” summed up their feelings for their epic journey.
The Harriman Family
Mr. and Mrs. Azro Albion Harriman and their son, Clayton C. Harriman, together with his wife and family consisting of Herbert, Jennie, Ronald, Albion, and Aylmer, arrived in the Tofield district in the spring of 1902. With the assistance of Mr. John C. Phillips, a long-time friend who had left Iowa a few years previously to settle in this district, Mr. Harriman Sr. had purchased Section 12-51-19-W4th Meridian and it was to this location that the families moved as soon as buildings could be constructed.
Mr. Harriman Sr. also acquired the N.W. 1/4 of Section 32-50-19-W4th Meridian under the provisions of the Homestead Act which permitted grazing of cattle in lieu of performing of other homestead duties. Mr. Harriman was a veteran of the American Civil War.
Mr. C.C. Harriman purchased a parcel of land consisting of 100 acres in the S.E. 12-51-19-W4th Meridian where the family lived for several years before movingto Flat Lake, Alberta, where Herbert Harriman homesteaded. An adopted daughter, Ruth Evelyn May Harriman, born September 27, 1910, was added to the family.
All the family but Herbert returned to Tofield soon, and after several years ran a dairy on the farm of Mr. Harriman, Sr., he having taken up residence in Tofield. Mr. C.C. Harriman also homesteaded a quarter section under the grazing provisions; this was the N.W. 1/4 of 36-5l-19-W4th.
On February 22, 1922, Mr. C.C. Harriman held his dispersal sale and shortly thereafter, the entire family left Alberta to take up residence in Bellingham, Washington, where Mr. and Mrs. A.A. Harriman had already acquired a small farm and taken up residence.
Mr. Herbert Harriman and his wife, the former Mildred Abernethy, came back to Tofield with their four children in 1926, intending to move back to their farm at Flat Lake, Alberta, but this move was never accomplished. While visiting at the home of Mildred’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Will Abernethy, Herbert and his brother-in-law, Frank Walker, Dorothy Abernethy’s husband met an untimely death by drowning in Beaverhill Lake, just offshore from the Walker farm. This sad event took place on April 26, 1926. Mildred and the girls returned to Bellingham where they owned a small house.
Mr. A.A. Harriman had been a member of the I.O.O.F Lodge for many years.
The Hull and Barnes Families
The material for this article was contributed by R. H. Barnes.
Mr. and Mrs. Frank Hull came to Tofield from Gradbrook, Iowa, in 1906, with their three grown children, Clinton, Lois and Edna, who had accompanied them. They settled on a farm in the Ketchamoot district. The entire family participated in community affairs; in addition , Mrs. Hull delighted her neighbours with the oil paintings which demonstrated her artistic ability.
Lois Hull’s fiancé, Oscar Barnes, had come from Gilman, Iowa, arriving in Tofield with the Hulls. Married in 1906, Lois and Oscar Barnes lived in the Farmington district for a short period, later returning to the Ketchamoot district where their son, Ralph Hull Barnes, was born in 1908. From Ketchamoot, Oscar Barnes came into Tofield to play baseball, a sport he loved.
Mrs. Hull died in 1930; Mr. Hull in 1949 at 96 years. Oscar Barnes died in 1948; his wife Lois followed in 1961. They are all buried in the Tofield cemetery as is Clinton Hull.
Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Barnes live in Red Deer.
Isaac Ingram Family
Mary Jane Newman was born in Guelph, Ontario, Sept. 24, 1869. At the age of sixteen she went to Park River, North Dakota to visit relatives. It was here she met and later married Isaac Ingram who had arrived from Ireland. For a while they lived in North Dakota but the lure of the West beckoned the young couple, so they started on the trail with their two young sons, George and Will. Their third son, Allen, was born at Emerson, Manitoba but died when only a few days old and was buried along the trail, not far from Emerson. When they arrived in Edmonton, in 1891, which then was only a small town, they filed on a homestead at Clearwater, near Leduc. This area is now known as Beaumont. Mrs. Ingram and the children spent the summer months on the homestead doing the required work to prove up the homestead. Isaac had obtained employment in Edmonton, at $19.00 a month. It was in 1907 that Isaac decided on another move, and made a trip to Tofield. He liked the country and filed on another homestead in Woodlawn district, 7 miles west of Tofield. However, he was not to realize his ambitions for he became ill shortly after and passed away, leaving his widow Mary, three sons, George, Will and Ed; six daughters, Olive, Margaret, Charlotte, Mae, Mary and Victoria.
In the spring Of 1908, Mrs. Ingram decided to make the move her husband had planned on, so she and her son Will, who was a young man of eighteen, came to Tofield. They spent six months on the homestead where they built a loghouse and barn, dug a well, and brushed and broke the required number of acres. While they were gone, the eldest daughter, Olive (known to everyone as Bella) was left in charge of the younger brothers and sisters; she herself was only sixteen years of age then. In 1909, Mrs. Ingram moved her family to Tofield. George remained in Edmonton where he was employed. The Ingram family were again sorrowed in 1911, when George passed away following a sun-stroke.
Among the first families the Ingrams were to become acquainted with were the Yagers, O. Johnsons, McGinities, Hendersons and Carlisles. These families established a life long friendship. They also became good friends with the Henry Woods family and though they lived quite a distance apart the young people were often together.
In the early days, during the winter months, house parties were enjoyed by all and they would bundle up warmly with blankets and off they would go with the team and sleigh for an evening of fun and dancing or a card party. In the summer, there were boating and picnics at Beaverhill Lake.
Mrs. Ingram was always willing and ready to help out her neighbors and was called on many times when sickness struck or when a new baby arrived.
In 1917, Olive Ingram was married to Edmund Cookson. For a short time they farmed near Tofield, before selling the farm to E. McClymont and moving to a farm at Lindbrook. In 1925, Edmund died leaving his widow and three children; Lloyd, Margaret and Nola. Following the death of her husband, Olive moved back with her mother. By this time, the other girls had left, Margaret to Victoria where she had married, the others to San Francisco.
Only Will and Ed were at home. Mrs. Ingram died in 1927 following a brief illness. Will went to Chilliwack, B.C. in 1928 and was only there a short while when he became very ill and passed away. Ed stayed with his sister, Olive Cookson, and children until 1929 when he went out to Vancouver. Mrs. Cookson remained on the family homestead until her death on Nov. 13, 1964. Although none of the family is living their farm is owned by Olive’s family: Lloyd Cookson of Edmonton, Mrs. Margaret Bruce of Lindbrook, and Mrs.Nola Ferguson of Tofield, grandchildren of Mrs. Isaac Ingram.
The Ingram and Sears Families
Martha Yerks was born in Ingersoll, Ontario, in August, 1859, and since her mother had died in childbirth Martha was adopted. At the age of seventeen she married William Henry Ingram of Ingersoll. After a ten years’ residence in Ingersoll, they, with their family of four moved to Tipton, Iowa and later to Prescott, Adams County, Iowa. Here Mr. Ingram died.
So, in the rolling green hills of Iowa, the widowed Mrs. Ingram faced a difficult decision. She had a family of six sons and three daughters and only eighty acres of land. Obviously, something must be done to ensure better living conditions for her family.
Tales had been heard of plentiful areas of land to be had in Western Canada in the Beaverhill Lake area, so Mrs. Ingram decided to send her eldest son, Peter to verify these stories In 1898, Peter left for Western Canada to ascertain whether it would be wise for the family to make another move. He returned in 1899 with glowing reports of the land east of the small city of Edmonton and of the hospitality of the Hugh Mitchell family, in the settlement of Northern (later Bardo). The decision to come to Canada was taken and in 1900, Mrs. Martha Ingram with her sons, Peter, Jim, Tom, Wes, Charlie and Ernie and daughters Carrie, Frances, and Ellen arrived in Calgary with two carloads of settlers’ effects. With them was a young neighbor just back from military duty in the Philippine Islands, William Sears, who was later to marry Ellen Ingram.
Travelling in one of the first trains to run over the newly-laid tracks to Edmonton, or rather to Strathcona, the party arrived at the point of departure for their new home. Here they transferred to horse- drawn buggies and wagons and proceeded to the Bardo district visited earlier by Peter Ingram; here their dream of owning land was fulfilled.
Mrs. Ingram filed on SW of 30-50-18-W4th where, later, Ingram school was built. (In 1967, this farm is the property of John Baerg.) Later she bought the farm owned in 1967 by J. Korobko. Here the youngest member of the family was raised.
The sons also filed on homestead land. Peter filed on S.W. 24-50-19-W.4 and later bought S.E. of 24-50 -19 W.4 now (1967) owned by Dave Schmidt; here he opened the
first coal mine in the Tofield area. He also operated a real estate business in Tofield. He married Molly Mitchell whose parents had entertained him on his first visit to Alberta.
Wesley Ingram settled on the present (1967) Arnold Johnson farm and married his neighbor’s daughter, Theresa Nordhouse. Later, they moved to the land now occupied by their nephew, Bill Ingram (James Ingram’s eldest son) and his wife, Mae (Wiley) and their son, Wesley. Their daughter, Donna, married Lester Prokopczak.
James Ingram filed on a homestead in the winter when the heavy snow gave it a deceptively level appearance; in the spring, the true terrain with its abundance of sloughs, was revealed. James then bought the land on which, in 1967, Jim, the younger Ingram son, and his wife Florence live with their daughters, Beth, Annis and Susan. Their eldest daughter Sharon married Richard Strong. The Strongs and their son, Christopher, reside in Whitehorse, Yukon.
Besides the two boys, Bill and Jim, the James Ingram family had four girls. Anna, the eldest, married T. D. Ferguson and lived in the Lakeshore district until her early death in Dec. 1952. Her husband and two sons, Lloyd and Stewart still farm in the Lakeshore district.
Mildred Ingram, the second daughter, married Wendall Wiley. Their family consisted of Dale, Yvonne (Mrs. Roy Kawinsky), and Linda. The Wiley family lives in Terrace, B.C. Also in Terrace is the former Gertie Ingram, now Mrs. Les Ovelson. The Ovelson children are: Laverne (Mrs. Bernie Dekergameaux), Anne (Mrs. Grant Johnson), Gail (Mrs. Ron McHugh),Joyce (Mrs. Robert Hippsley), Wayne and Wendy.
The youngest Ingram girl, Kathleen, married John Nickerson. Living in Edmonton, the Nickersons have three children; Joanne, Royal, and Brent.
Charlie Ingram, like his brother James, took up his land in the winter. He too, in the spring regretted his choice and bought the farm on which, in 1967, A.W. Sears resides. Here Charlie with his wife, the former Emma Moline of Amisk Creek district, spent the remainder of his life.
Tom Ingram lived in the Tofield area until World War I. On his return to Canada with his English bride he moved to Edmonton.
Ernie Ingram met accidental death in Tofield in 1913. Carrie, the eldest Ingram daughter married G.Wilcox and moved back to Iowa where, in her ninetieth year, she still resides.
Frances Ingram married Guy Owens, son of a pioneer Tofield family. Their family now lives in Edmonton.
Wesley Ingram Sr. now (1967) in his ninety – third year lives in Victoria, B.C.
Ellen Ingram married William Sears and lived on the former McDevitt farm, now owned by Pete Dueck. Their family consisted of Charles and Stanley (Pat) and a daughter, Hazel, now Mrs. Dyers of Edmonton. Ellen Sears died in 1968.
Albert, Pat and Charles still farm in the Ketchamoot district; Albert (1967) is still a bachelor; Pat and his wife Jean (McCrea), have two daughters and two sons Patsy, Ruth-Ellen, Bill and John. Charlie and his wife Ruby (McLennan) have eight children: Gary, Gail (now Mrs. Lawrence McGinnis), Duane, Dwight, Laurie, Gwen, Robin, and David.
The Ingram and Sears families participated wholeheartedly in the community activities of the pioneer era. The Ingram and Ketchamoot schools were worked on by James and William Sears in 1906. These men were also trustees of these two rural schools. Wes Ingram ran a pool room and a livery stable in Tofield. Pete Ingram had a real estate business and a coal mine to his credit.
The Sears and Ingram families were always ready to lend a hand to help a neighbour or to aid in any community project or recreation. In 1907, William Sears was a member of the Tofield baseball team. His farm was the picnic ground for the Ketchamoot district for years.
The Ingram and Sears families have helped build, through four generations, the strong community spirit of the Ketchamoot district. As Ellen Ingram Sears’ son Pat, comments, “This is due to the firm hand of Martha Ingram, a strong-minded little lady who had the courage to get a a place for her family to live.” She wished her family to stay close together and they did.